Welcome to my blog about my wood burning creations! I'm so glad you're here!
You can also visit my Etsy site here, to see what items are available to purchase, and visit me on Facebook here!

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Who is this Elf on a Shelf?






I feel like I've entered some sort of twilight zone.  Until just recently I had never heard of the "Elf on the Shelf" doll or the tradition that goes along with it.  It wasn't something our family did and growing up I'd never heard any of my friends talk about it so I didn't know it existed.  It's only just been this fall that I've been seeing this doll everywhere!  At least it feels that way.  I can't seem to escape its little plastic frozen stare.  


Before I learned about the commercialized "Elf on the Shelf" I was introduced to these lovely elves by Pigswife on Etsy.  I just adore them.  They are handcrafted with love and are so special because not one of them is like another.  They are each different in their own way and they have little personalities which shine through.
SOLD Buddy the Elf Boy Christmas Doll Amigurumi Crochet Doll
This guy is fashioned after "Buddy" from the movie "Elf"
Boy Crochet Elf Christmas Doll Amigurumi
Girl Christmas Elf Doll Crochet Amigurumi




After falling in love with these beauties I can't stand to look at the commercial version.  It holds no meaning for me from childhood memories and instead looks quite creepy, cheap and massed produced.  I don't see anything cute or adorable in it at all.

I like the idea of hiding it every morning for the family (kids) to find.  That is a fun tradition that I may start with my kids next Christmas.  But I will be using our unique and beautiful Christmas elf instead.

Our elf with Marcel the cat

This is our Christmas elf.  She watches over the kids and reports back to Santa.







I apologize if this offends anyone, I am just sharing how I feel.

How do you feel?  Do you have one of the "Elf on a Shelf"s?  Do you hide it for your kids to find?  Is it a long standing tradition in your family from when you were a kid?  Or is it new to you too?  I'd love to hear what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment