Welcome to my blog about my wood burning creations! I'm so glad you're here!
You can also visit my Etsy site here, to see what items are available to purchase, and visit me on Facebook here!

Friday, February 22, 2013

Foodie Friday


A couple of weeks ago the boys and I tried this new cookie recipe.  The cookies were pretty tasty and they sure didn’t last long (cookies never do in our house) but the texture was very different for me.  The addition of the crushed corn flakes was interesting.  Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t bad!  It just added something different to the cookie that I’m not used to.  Give it a try and tell me what you think...corn flakes a good idea or not?

Glazed Peanut Butter Chocolate Cookies

½ cup unsalted butter
½ cup smooth peanut butter
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup whole wheat flour
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup crushed corn flakes
2 Tbsp cocoa powder
½ tsp baking soda

Icing
¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
3 Tbsp coffee

Preheat oven to 350F.  Lightly grease cookie sheets.

In a large bowl, cream butter and peanut butter with both sugars until light and fluffy.  Stir in egg yolk and vanilla.

In another bowl, mix both flours, corn flakes, cocoa powder and baking soda together; stir into creamed mixture.  Turn out onto floured board and knead gently until dough holds together.

Pull off pieces of dough and shape into 1 inch balls.  Place on cookie sheet and flatten.  Bake 12 to 14 minutes until firm.

When done, transfer to wire racks and let cool completely before icing.

To prepare icing, melt chocolate chips over hot water, or in a double-boiler; set aside.

In a bowl, combine confectioners’ sugar and coffee, stirring until sugar is completely dissolved.  Blend in melted chocolate.  Keep icing soft and spreadable by placing bowl in hot water.  Spoon icing generously onto cookies.

The recipe said this will make 4 dozen cookies.  We ended up with about 2 dozen cookies but I made them a little bigger than the 1 inch balls the recipe called for.

When it came time to do the icing I discovered we didn’t have any confectioners’ sugar!  I know!  Who doesn’t have confectioners’ sugar?!  Well we had some but it wasn’t nearly enough.  So I used this recipe for a chocolate glaze instead.  It was really quick and easy and tasted great.  If I use it again I will make more though, I ran out of the glaze for the last couple of cookies.

Chocolate Glaze

½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp corn syrup

In a double-boiler, melt together butter, chocolate and syrup.   Once combined spread over cookies, or whatever else you think needs a little chocolate glaze...I’ll leave that part up to you.

You can also make this in the microwave.  You melt the chocolate chips first and then add the other ingredients.

We don’t have a microwave or a double-boiler so I use two sauce pans.  A bigger one boils a small amount of water while the smaller one, held carefully over the bigger one, holds the ingredients that requires melting.  It works for me and means we don’t have to find storage for another “thing” in our small kitchen.

Please let me know if you try this recipe.  I'd love to hear what you think of the corn flakes.

4 comments:

  1. I like soft cookies, so to me I wouldn't want to add crushed corn flakes, maybe crushed nuts would do cause I love all nuts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cookies are still soft but they have a strange crunch in them, sort of like nuts but more like candy. Hard to explain. They disappeared pretty quickly though. : )

      Delete
  2. Those look so good! I like the idea of adding corn flakes, seems like it would give a little kick to the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely different! I think we'll make them again. Any kind of cookie is a favourite in our house. : )

      Delete