Welcome to my blog about my wood burning creations! I'm so glad you're here!
You can also visit my Etsy site here, to see what items are available to purchase, and visit me on Facebook here!

Monday, February 4, 2013

PB + J Monday

Not our house, but one on our street.
I've got some fun and interesting things coming up for PB + J Mondays.  But since they're not ready yet I thought I'd share some Eco-Friendly ideas to save on heating...which will only work for you if you live in a colder area like we do.

Easy ways to cut your heating bill:

~When you feel chilly, warm yourself first, instead of the whole room.  Put on a sweater while watching TV (or get up and exercise).

~Put an extra blanket on the bed at night; don't turn up the thermostat.  "Experts suggest that the optimal room temperature for sleeping is between 60 and 70 degrees F."

What could be better than wrapping yourself in this cozy quilt
on a cold winter's day?
This one, and more, are available at
www.marylandquilter.etsy.com  
~When you are asleep or out of your house, turn your thermostat back 10-15 degrees for eight hours and save around 10% a year on your heating and cooling bills.  A programmable thermostat can make it easy to set back your temperature.

~Take advantage of heat from the sun: Open curtains on your south-facing windows during the day to allow sunlight to naturally heat your home, and close them at ight to reduce the chill you may feel from cold windows.

~Cover drafty windows: Use a heavy-duty, clear plastic sheet on frames or tape clear plastic film to the inside of your window frames during he cold winter months.   Or install tight-fitting, insulating drapes or shades on windows that feel drafty after weatherizing.

~Maintain our heating systems.  Furnaces: Replace your furnace filter once a  month or as needed.  Wood and pellet burning heaters: Clean the flue vent regularly and clean the inside of the appliance with a wire brush periodically to ensure that your home is heated efficiently.

That's just a few suggestions for this week.  I will be sharing more green ideas and tips every Sunday, on my Facebook page.  Until next time, stay warm!


1 comment:

  1. I have blankets all over the house! Mostly because my hubs likes it cold. Which isn't too bad because our bill stays low :)

    Hey I just launched my new blog design, complete with a give-away! If you have some time, maybe check it out. Thanks :)
    http://nauticalowl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete